What does the word relieve?
relieve, alleviate, lighten, assuage, mitigate, allay mean to make something less grievous. relieve implies a lifting of enough of a burden to make it tolerable. took an aspirin to relieve the pain alleviate implies temporary or partial lessening of pain or distress.
How do you use relieve?
- 1relieve something to remove or reduce an unpleasant feeling or pain to relieve the symptoms of a cold to relieve anxiety/guilt/stress Being able to tell the truth at last seemed to relieve her.
- relieve something to make a problem less serious synonym alleviate efforts to relieve poverty to relieve traffic congestion.
What does relieve yourself mean?
: to pass waste from the body : urinate.
Is it relief or relieve?
Relief is a condition of being comfortable. Ex. He enjoyed his relief from responsibility. Relieve on the other hand refer to a relief from physical pain.
What is another word for relived?
Synonyms of relive
What are 2 synonyms for relieved?
synonyms for relieved
What is the feeling of relief?
Relief is a positive emotion experienced when something unpleasant, painful or distressing has not happened or has come to an end. Relief is often accompanied with a sigh, which signals emotional transition.
How do you express relief in writing?
- body slumping, losing its stiff posture.
- shaky laughter.
- a slow smile.
- falling back into a chair.
- asking/demanding someone to repeat good news.
- asking a redundant question to assure that the moment is real.
- eyes that go up, looking heavenward.
- letting out a huge breath.
What is a 3way?
1 : involving three people or groups a three-way conversation/deal/partnership. 2 : allowing movement in any one of three directions a three-way intersection.
What does it mean to be relieved of your duties?
If someone is relieved of their duties or is relieved of their post, they are told that they are no longer required to continue in their job. [formal] The officer involved was relieved of his duties because he had violated strict guidelines. More Synonyms of relieve.
What is an example of relief?
Relief is the ease of pain, tension, strain or other discomfort. An example of relief is medication taking away a headache. An example of relief is getting a job after a long period of unemployment.
Is such a relief?
Definition of relief – Learner’s Dictionary the good feeling that you have when something unpleasant stops or does not happen: It’ll be such a relief when these exams are over.